Tuesday, June 20, 2006

When I heard a knock at the door, I did not answer...

Tonight, I was at home, just after work.

I was really, really tired.

I was really, really hot.

I was really, really crabby.

Jordie and I had a disagreement about money, and I was just thinking about how yucky I felt.

And I had only a few minutes before I had to leave for the Beth Shalom board meeting.

So, when I heard a knock at the door, I did not answer.

I just wanted to be alone.

Thank God, Jordie answered the door.

Because it was our little neighbor. He's just 6 or 7, I think. A beautiful boy. The son of our friends down the street. He somehow missed seeing his dad around the house, and so, when he didn't see his dad (who was, really, around there, making dinner, but somehow they missed each other). Anyway, when he didn't see his dad, he walked down the street to our house and knocked on the door.

Jordie gave him a big hug and then took him home.

What if I had been by myself and had not answered the door? It just gives me chills to think of a child being worried and me too busy to comfort.

What a lesson to not be so lost in myself.

No comments: