Saturday, August 06, 2005

A warm summer night

Last night was just a night that reminded me of how good it is to live in Bloomington. I finished work at 6:45, (which was pretty good, considering that Rod -- my partner on the editorial pages - and Carol -- my officemate -- were both away). AND I even took time to have lunch with Shirley, which was great, of course.

Anyway, I buzzed across the street and got a sandwich, then up to Third Street Park, where Lee's band, O2R, was to play at 7. I took the folding rocking chair out of the wayback, and went to sit with friends and listen to music. Jordie and Abby were already there, and they moved down to the front to sit with me. Then, as I was WISHING I had the nerve to get up and just start dancing, there were Wendy and Ed Bernstein and Carol Polsgrove, coming to the front to dance in the grass just in front of the stage....and then, we all did! One thing I loved to watch was how Jordie jumped up to dance with Jessie Van Buskirk -- both having a great time. And Bonnie dancing with her little granddaughter, Clara. It felt so, so good to dance...the warm summer night, the smells, the women in pretty, floaty dresses, laughing....yes, very good!

Lee's guitar-playing was great -- he did one solo that was amazing! And Zain, my old friend from United Way days -- she's now at Monroe Bank -- was incredibly fun to watch singing.

I saw a woman who I knew was an old friend of my friend Sandy, so I introduced myself and told her that Sandy is coming for Lotus Festival, for a week! And two other women, who I've known for years, said "I know Sandy! She used to be with Ken Williams!" And, of course that's right -- I remember him the far, far distant past!

Heather and Shane, Sara Irvine and Donna had to move their blanket way back in the park -- the music scared baby Elijah.

I told Fred that I've thought of a wonderful woman with whom to FIX HIM UP! And he likes the idea! (Well, actually, the other night, he ASKED me if I knew any good women for him!)

After the concert was over, Abby and I were to head off to the westside Showplace to see Must Love Dogs, and Kelsey came with us.

What a wonderful evening....Here's the review of Must Love Dogs that I posted on the Herald-Times web site, under the Armchair Critic section:

***********************************
We laughed the whole way through

So what if the reviews say "No?" My friend and I (mid-40s and 51 years old, both women) laughed continuously. The meddling , loving, family? The beautiful, wonderful woman who can't get a date? Divorced men who only want younger women? The awkward fumbling toward some kind of understanding? Imperfect, puzzling relationships? Well, these situations may be cliched, but that's because they are all true to life. The relationships are wonderful, the humanity touching. And the one-liners are great! We thought it was even better than "You've Got Mail," which was charming. If you want to laugh, if you've been divorced or have friends who are, if you have fumbled with love (who hasn't?), you will enjoy this movie.

(And to top it off, Diane Lane's movie house is the Craftsman of my dreams -- I could see it again just for the house!)
***********************************

Actually, my friend said "I can't believe that crap like "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" got good reviews, and this didn't!"

We're both just softies, I guess!

Good night.

No comments: