Sunday, February 27, 2005

Thank God for a normal day

Called Mom at 7:30 a.m. to make sure she was OK, after spending a couple of worried early-morning hours. She didn't pick up, so I called the front desk of her retirement apartments and the woman said "Oh, she's looking really dressy, so I imagine she's headed for church after breakfast!" REALLY nice to be able to call that front desk!

I think it was Grandma Kruse who used to say something about how lucky we are to have just NORMAL days, and I absolutely did not understand that until the last few years.

Thank heavens everything was OK with Mom, and that she'll give her doctor a call on Monday.

Grateful tonight, too, for the wonderful, warm gathering at Beth Shalom just now....a 40th anniversary dinner for the congregation. Great deli food, and warm and funny speeches from John Applegate, our president, and Rabbi Mira. So many people there that I like so much. Esther Gaber, on Jordie's urging, told some good stories about the early days. I felt so happy, with Jordie having a good time talking to everybody else at our table, and Abby comfortably next to Ruth Goldstein, a warm and generous friend from even before I actually became a Jew (my first Passover dinner ever was at her and Bob's house, the year I moved in with Jordie).

No comments: